Today we sampled the delicious and easy Apple Brown Betty recipe from the “Classic Southern Desserts” from the editors of Southern Living.
Apple Brown Betty
Makes 6 servings • Prep: 15 min. • Cook: 55 min. • Other: 10 min.
• 8 white bread slices, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
• 1/3 cup butter, melted
• 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
• 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
• 4 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1/4 -inch thick slices
• 1 cup apple cider
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Pulse bread cubes in a good processor 8 to 10 times or until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
2. Stir together breadcrumbs and butter in small bowl.
3. Stir together brown sugar and cinnamon. Place half of apple slices in a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish; sprinkle apples evenly with half of brown sugar mixture and half of bread crumb mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining apples, brown sugar mixture, and breadcrumb mixture. Pour apple cider evenly over the top.
4. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
“Classic Southern Desserts”-Time Inc. Home Entertainment
Look at the finished product!